Current:Home > MarketsFamily of American caught in Congo failed coup says their son went to Africa on vacation -ProsperityEdge
Family of American caught in Congo failed coup says their son went to Africa on vacation
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:40:04
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) — The family of an American caught up in a failed coup attempt in Congo said their son, Tyler Thompson, was in Africa on vacation with family friends and had not previously engaged in political activism, in a statement provided to The Associated Press.
“We are stunned and heartbroken by the videos we have seen from the coup attempt,” his stepmother, Miranda Thompson, said in a message on X, the social media platform. “We have no idea how he got wrapped up in this situation, which is completely out of character for him. We are certain he did not go to Africa with plans for political activism.”
Thompson was among at least two other Americans who were named by the Congolese army as part of a failed effort to overthrow the government in Kinshasa in the early hours of Sunday morning under an eccentric, self-exiled leader, Christian Malanga. The two other Americans allegedly involved were a convicted marijuana trafficker, Benjamin Reuben Zalman-Polun, and Malanga’s 21-year-old son, Marcel, who was arrested by Congolese forces.
Malanga, the alleged leader, was shot dead after resisting arrest, the Congolese army said. In all, six people were killed in the attack on the presidential palace and another on the residence of a close ally of President Felix Tshisekedi.
On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken condemned the attack in a call with Tshisekedi and offered help from the U.S. with the investigation, according to a summary of the call.
The stepmother said Thompson was not politically engaged and was excited to see the world with family friends. “He is a good kid, a hard worker and a respectful young man. We’re so lost as to how he ended up in this mess,” she said.
The U.S. Embassy in Congo said Thursday that it was still waiting for the Congolese government to provide evidence that the arrested individuals were Americans before it could provide consular services to them.
The Congolese government has not given a date for when the suspects will appear in court.
___
Donati reported from Dakar, Senegal.
veryGood! (91)
Related
- Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
- Doctors are pushing Hollywood for more realistic depictions of death and dying on TV
- Reese Witherspoon Has a Big Little Twinning Moment With Daughter Ava Phillippe on Christmas
- Barbra Streisand says she's embracing sexuality with age: 'I'm too old to care'
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Comedian Tom Smothers, one-half of the Smothers Brothers, dies at 86
- Family of Iowa teen killed by police files a lawsuit saying officers should have been better trained
- An Indiana dog spent 1,129 days in a shelter. He has his own place with DOGTV.
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Boebert switches congressional districts, avoiding a Democratic opponent who has far outraised her
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Khloe Kardashian Unveils New Family Portrait With Kids True and Tatum
- North Dakota lawmaker who used homophobic slurs during DUI arrest has no immediate plans to resign
- Almost 10 million workers in 22 states will get raises on January 1. See where wages are rising.
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Who are the top prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft? Ranking college QBs before New Year's Six
- Arkansas man charged with possession of live pipe bombs, and accused of trying to flee country
- Sources: Teen tourists stabbed in Grand Central Terminal in apparently random Christmas Day attack
Recommendation
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Morant has quickly gotten the Memphis Grizzlies rolling, and oozing optimism
$1.58 billion Mega Millions winner in Florida revealed
TikToker Mikayla Nogueira Addresses Claim She Lost 30 Lbs. on Ozempic
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
The Powerball jackpot now at $685 million: When is the next drawing?
House where 4 University of Idaho students were killed is set to be demolished
Massachusetts police lieutenant charged with raping child over past year